Time management is such an important skill. Managing your time allows you to stay focused and not get overwhelmed with the number of things that you have to do.
Lately, I feel like I’m all over the place and don’t know where to start on my long list of things to do this semester.
This is my last semester in school and I’m really really the senioritis kick in. But I’m trying to stay focused and finish strong. I decide to make a post about time management since I’m having such difficulties with it. Here are 5 tips that I find helpful for managing time in college.
1. Write everything down (More than once)
- It’s best to get yourself a planner or journal to write down any reminders because if you don’t write it down you won’t remember it. I’m not a fan of planners, so I like to take a small journal to write things down.
- Always write things down more than once because the repetition will help you remember what you have to do.
- Writing things down will help you stay organized and keep track of your daily habits.
2. Stay off your phone
- It’s easy to waste an endless amount time scrolling through social media.
- If you have something important to do, its best not to have your phone on you especially if you get easily distracted.
- I highly suggest deleting social media apps while you’re working so you don’t feel tempted. Then just redownload them once your finished.
3. Set reminders for deadlines
- Setting reminders will help you get your work done ahead of time instead of the very last minute.
- College deadlines come up fast even though you think its far away.
- Stick to a schedule. If you prefer to get work done or exercise around six pm, stick with that time frame so you get into the habit of doing those activities.
4. Finish one task at a time.
- Write everything down on a to-do list and cross it off as soon as you finish that activity. (Crossing things off increases your dopamine levels which increases happiness because you feel accomplished )
- Start with the easy tasks first. Difficult tasks are usually more time consuming and may take awhile to finish.
- Multi-tasking is never a good idea because your brain isn’t fully focusing on one thing.
5. Utilize free time
- If you have free time, use it to get a hed start on homework or studying. If you have a job where business is slow, I highly suggest utilizing that time to get work done.
- Look at your schedule and figure out the best times to eat, sleep, exercise and do homework.
- Don’t forget to take a break from work every once in a while and make time for friends or for other fun activities.
If you have any other tips lets me know in the comments below!